Monday 17 December 2012

Audience Research and Analysis of Data

I will now analyse research I carried out on a selection of random individuals. 11 people carried out the survey.
For the first question, I asked for their age range. 9 people stated they fell within the age range of 13 to 17, whereas only 2 fell into the age range of 25 to 34. This lets me bear in mind that the majority of people answering this survey are teenagers. Because this is my primary target audience, this will help me understand what content to feature in my magazine which will best suit them.

For my next question, I asked for the gender of those filling out the survey. 5 people said they were female, whereas 6 said they were male. This conforms to my existing beliefs that music is unisex and the magazine should reflect that. It should not focus on one specific genre or artists which is stereotypically associated with one gender or the other. The colour scheme should also be unisex, ensuring that there are no prominent colours which are stereotypically associated with a specific gender (such as blue or pink).

For this question, I inquired about which genres of music the participants listened to. This question gave them the opportunity to select more than one option where applicable. 8 people said they listened to Rock music, 7 said Indie/Alternative (the genre my magazine was intended to be centred around), 1 said Rap, 2 said Classical, 4 said Pop, 2 said Electronic and 4 said than another type of music was of interest to them. This lets me know that my magazine will do well should it be focused on my preferred genre of Indie/Alternative music.

For the fourth question, I inquired what would be the maximum price the participant would be willing to pay for a music magazine that matched their style of music. Surprisingly, 2 people stated they would only be willing to pay 99p for the magazine. 1 person said £1.99, 4 people said £2.99, 2 people said £3.99, 1 person said £4.99 and 1 person said £7.99. The majority stated that £2.99 would be the maximum they were willing to pay for the magazine, indicating that £2.99 should be the price for my magazine.

For the next question (another multiple choice question) I inquired as to which articles the participants would be most inclined to read inside the magazine. What I found was that all three options were relatively close to each other, with Interviews being chosen by 8 people, New/Upcoming Artists being chosen by 6 and Reviews being picked by 7. Due to this, I can safely assume that no matter which article type I finally decide to feature within my publication, the reader is still likely to read it regardless.

For my next question, I asked the participants which of these existing music magazines they read. The results showed that 4 read Q, 5 read NME and 4 read Kerrang!. 4 did not read any of the magazines that I featured as available options. Based on these results, I can see that a fair majority of participants read music magazines focused on rock, with 5/11 participants reading NME and 4 reading Q, the two magazines which I had stated would influence my own.

For this question,  I gave a bit more of a specific choice for question 5, asking specifically whether they would be interested in reading about articles which talk about new/upcoming artists. 9 said they they would be interested in reading about these, whereas 2 said they would not be. Due to this, I can safely include the desired article of an interview/report of an upcoming artist without worrying about whether the target audience will find it interesting or not, as 9/11 said they would be.

Surprisingly, only 1/11 people said they were subscribed to an existing music magazine. 10/11 said they were not. This lets me know that I need to change the traditional format of music magazines if I ever wish my readers to subscribe to the magazine for copies of new issues whenever they're released. Although I do need to vary from existing and overused techniques, I must not forget to also follow the main and key conventions of magazines to ensure it is clear that it is a music magazine, and does not feel too dissimilar to existing publications.

For my final question, I asked the participants of the survey whether a free gift coming free with the magazine would persuade them to purchase the magazine. No-one said it would not persuade them, but just under half said it may, depending on the gift. The remaining 6 said it would. While the majority said it would, I need to bear in mind that the gift must be suitable for the style of the magazine. In this case, a cover CD produced by various artists who fit into the genre of the magazine, or guitar plectrums for guitarists.

No comments:

Post a Comment