Wednesday 30 January 2013

Potential Photographs

These are all of the potential images which I could have used within my magazine:
This first one is a good one in my opinion. The lighting of the image is clear and the subjects are positioned well within the frame. Because it is landscape, and the subjects are in centre frame, this would not be an ideal shot to use for the main cover or the Double-Page Spread; however, I could transform this image and use it within the contents page as a smaller image.
This is one of my favourite images which I have taken. It captures the theme and overall mood of the magazine perfectly, showing what can be a 'casual and laid back' artist who has possibly just finished a world tour, recording session etc. As with the first image, the subject is centred; however, in this case, the orientation is portrait. This would make this image the perfect candidate for a double-page spread image or main cover. Instead, however, I have decided to use this image as a preview on the contents page for an article later on in the magazine.
This is one of my favourite images. While the orientation is horizontal, the subjects of the image are rather small in comparison to the size of the frame, meaning I can stretch the image to suit a portrait page while not causing the subjects to appear too large as a side-effect of doing so. This would be the image I would like to use for my main cover, however there is a major problem with the brightness. The subjects appear very dark in comparison to the sky.
I have used the skills I picked up in the Photoshop Skills Development Tasks (12) to modify the image. In this instance, I used the Magic Wand Tool to highlight everything except the sky and increased the brightness. To still make the image look dark and mysterious, I decided to decrease the brightness on the sky area. In my opinion, this change does not look very fluent and the change in brightness between the two areas of the image do not create a professional look. I may test this image to see what it looks like, but doubt I will use it in my final magazine.
I have used the skills I picked up in the Photoshop Skills Development Tasks (1, 2) to increase the brightness of everything except the sky. I used the Magic Wand Tool to highlight the areas which I did not want to change (e.g. the sky, the sun, the clouds) and pressed CMD+Shift+I to invert my selection, highlighting everything which I did wish to change. I then went into 'Image > Adjustments > Brightness/Contrast' and increased the brightness amount of the selected area. This result was far greater than I expected, and now the whole image is of a relatively equal lighting. While this image does not directly link to the 'dark' type of cover which I had initially thought of, I think this works better to go with the 'casual' and 'relaxed' tone of the article which it represents.
This image incorporates the features which is optimum for an image in a magazine. To start with, it is portrait, meaning I could use the image for a double-page spread. The image is also off-centre, which can occasionally bring a sense of professionalism to a magazine. Having only one subject, I think I may use this for the double-page spread image of my magazine, possibly incorporating a caption underneath.

This image is one of the better ones, yet I think the main subject of the image (the subject furthest on the right) is too 'focused' on the camera, and the image of them should portray a more realistic and natural stance.

In my opinion, this image is better as the subject on the right is mid-run, hence giving a more natural and fluent vibe to the image as a whole. I could use this image as a preview image for other pages in my magazine, placing it on my contents page in a smaller and slightly modified fashion.

This image may have been one I considered for the main cover, had the image not been quite blurry and out-of-focus. The stance of the subject us very casual and confident, much like many of the subjects seen on previously researched covers, meaning that this could have been an optimal image to use for the cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment