Saturday 3 November 2012

Preliminary Task Designs

For my preliminary task, I designed a college magazine front cover and contents page based on the previous research which I had carried out. I also tried to follow the design of my flat plans as much as I could, however changed minor details where I felt necessary. I created these preliminary tasks in Adobe Photoshop.

The contents page follows the basic design of a magazine cover. The masthead is located at the top of the page and contrasts well against the light blue sky background. The masthead itself, however, does not stand out when compared to the other text on the page and the only think which causes it to stand out at all is the fact that it is slightly slanted. The lighting is also not great, as the background image is lighter than the subjects in the foreground. A slight colour scheme is present, being white, black, and the light green of the grass. The light green colour suits the theme of the magazine (relaxing and calming). The sell lines offer minor details about the article contents, however do not offer enough to entice the reader and grab their attention.

For the contents page, I opted for a similar colour scheme of black, white and the light green background. In my own opinion, this colour scheme does not work well, despite it's positive and relaxing connotations. The layout works very well as a 'black and white table/grid' style layout, and the main image and the sub-image also help to emphasise and give more information about specific articles. The sub-headings give vague ideas about the articles, however more specific sub-text may be required underneath each sub-heading. Some images and boxes could be rotated to cause the page to look less 'linear' and help emphasise specific areas of the magazine. Finally, the text itself is incredibly basic, and while being easy to read and clear, offers no sense of originality or diversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment